I found this article quite interesting, especially in that the authors are taking an embodied learning perspective to mathematics. It seems, in my opinion, that a lot the mathematical concepts (counting, fractions, division, angles, etc) can quite easily be modeled through embodiment and proportional progression is only one example concept.

I did, however, find myself thinking about how such an instrument could be used in a more real-world setting. Would this device be part of a museum in which students could go there and interact with it during a guided session? Would it be a device used in schools and added as part of the math curriculum already in place in elementary schools? Or would this just be an application that students could use with parents at home to aid mathematical concept, should the student have difficulty at school?

The authors also discuss briefly, how, initially they tested embodied modeling of the proportional progression without the use of technology (the students were simply asked to raise their hands without the use of the Wii), but that the students had a difficult time and maintained a constant vertical distance between the levels of their rising hands. Though the authors did not discuss this in the results, I am curious is after using the study, if the students had a better sense of how to change vertical distances without the need for the computer or Wii.

Overall I think this was an interesting experiment for embodied learning and the ability to allow for schematic development of the math concept is pretty great. I do worry, however, of the practical implementation of a device, such as the MIT and how student would use it outside an experimental setting.