I really liked this article and thought that it was a cool idea.  I am all for using entralling technology in the classroom in order to teach what might be dull mathematical concepts.  My question here has to do with the application of the tool after ratios are understood by students.  Does the technology have any other application?  Otherwise, I feel like it will become obsolete quickly.  If used in a classroom, how would multiple students participate?

Speaking as someone who did have trouble with mathematical concepts as a child (or, I guess I understood it well enough but I didn’t “digest the meal” if you know what I mean), I would have really appreciated a tool like this.  I am much more of a kinesthetic learner and would have liked the movement.  I could see myself during tests trying to form patterns with my hands to figure out what the paper was talking about, or thinking about mathematics in images.

This is something that I think would reach a lot of children who don’t have schemas built up to understand mathematics otherwise.  Or who can’t see math as an interactive, real “living concept” but just see line and numbers on paper.  I wish that growing up there were more pictures telling me a story of math.  I would have understood it better.  I was a big fan of geometry and physics back in the day because I liked the shapes and the senarios (a ladder is leaning against a wall and casts a shadow…a plane is flyer overhead…two objects collide).  It felt real!  How can we turn algebra and calculus into interactive stories?

Also, A TREAT!

On Using Wii’s for CHEAP instructional tools: Check this out if you haven’t seen it.

The Wii White Board!! 50$ HOLY MOLEY!

http://www.ted.com/talks/lang/eng/johnny_lee_demos_wii_remote_hacks.html